Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bag it

I'm at the grocery store getting a few items. And I know this because I wouldn't be caught dead at this store if I needed to spend more than $20. But....since it was just a few things, I decided convenience was key.

So.....I go through the store, get what I need, and head over to the check out. There are two cashiers ringing.....so I look up and no lie, the one cashier was about 70 years old, but with 1/2 pound of makeup on. I'm not talking about cougar war paint make up....more like Clarabell the Clown (I love a good Howdy Doody reference). Since clowns scare me...I go to the other cashier, who is a cross between Grandma and a Marine Drill Sergaent. She rings everything up quickly (she was effecient), and tells me my bill is $15.83. Sadly, I have about 30 cents and a tic tac in my pocket, so I go to swipe my card.

Everyone knows the drill....it takes about 2 minutes to run your card, punch in your code and to be approved. So...I'm going through the process, and I'm not slacking or anything.....but she's just staring at me, and my six items are still sitting in the checkout area.

Anyone see where this is going?

So...I complete the transaction...she give's me a hurried, thanks for shopping.....and just looks at me.

Allow me to interject here....I am not above bagging my groceries, I've done it countless times. I've even done it while I've had an active 3 year old on my shoulders. But when you have a few items like this....you get to checking out before you can even start fumbling with the first crappy plastic bag.

Anyway......she keeps looking at me, until I slowly and deliberately begin to bag my six items. She's now actually holding up checking out the next person until I complete this task, put my bags in the cart and start on my way. I was just going to walk away until she apologizes to the next shopper for the delay....so I say loud enough for all to hear....and you're quite welcome that I bagged my groceries...nice of you to appreciate the effort......

Moral of the story......Wegman's always bags your groceries. And they don't allow clown makeup on their employees......

1 comment: