Friday, December 18, 2009

Bye Bye St. Luke's

So...it's my last day working at St. Luke's Hospital and Health Network - Allentown Campus after 3+ years.

It's been an amazing time...a very exciting time here. We've built a $75 million expansion, and are seeing double digit growth in admissions. It's been quite a ride.

So....why am I leaving? That seems to be the question I get often.....why are you leaving? It must be something bad for you to leave St. Luke's is the underlying theme.

Well....while I love a good scandal....unfortunately I don't have one here. The story is not about where I'm leaving from....it's about where I'm going to.

Turning Point of the Lehigh Valley is an organization that combats domestic violence. It offers people who are being physically or emotionally abused a safe place to go; counseling and help in depserate situations; possibilites for people to get control of their lives. I've been a volunteer at Turning Point for 3 years and I've seen amazing transformations. Domestic violence is such an insideous problem in our society....because victims often feel deep shame....for being victims. And society too often judges these people without knowing their stories.

I have so much to learn about preventing domestic violence from the many dedicated people who work there every day, but I also feel that my skills could make a real difference. So....I've taken the leap and start my new career on December 30th. I'm excited about being a part of the team that begins transforming the communities view of domestic violence and begins the journey to ending this terrible plague on society.

So...farewell to the amazingly talented doctors, nurses, and so many other professionals at St. Luke's. I've learned and grown so much from you.....and I will certainly be at your doorstep whenever I need healthcare.

No comments:

Post a Comment