Friday, November 27, 2009

I'm Fat.

I’m fat.

I am….please don’t argue with me and tell me that I’m….(fill in the euphemism for fat). I’m a pretty self aware guy, so it’s not like this fact is shocking to me.
I’m also not about to come up with interesting medical reasons that I’m fat like some other folks. My favorite is the slow metabolism excuse…..people grab onto that one like a lifeboat. Two facts about metabolism that are undisputable:

1). People have different metabolisms. I had a roommate once named Chris who was 5’9” and 125lbs. He used to drink 1,200 calorie shakes daily so he wouldn’t lose weight. He had a fast metabolism….and I hated him for it.

2). Your metabolism gets slower as you get older. That’s why you see 50 year old men who were skinny all of their life…that start developing a little belly, or 50 year old women who get some hips. IT’s inevitable for most people….unless you’re one of those people who won the lottery like Chris, or willing to spend more and more time in the gym, on the road...or sweating somewhere.

No…I was dealt with the hand that I can easily gain weight. That doesn’t mean that I have no recourse….and that I’m doomed to be fat, it means like millions of other people, my weight will be controlled if and only if I work to control it.

And for the last 18 months, I have done virtually nothing to control it.

I have two major issues…..

Firstly, I love to eat. I love fried food, red meat, cookies, crackers, cake, pie, muffins, cream sauce…..I could keep going. I love to eat lots of it. When I eat at McDonalds, I get a Big Mac, Large Fry….and still need an additional sandwich to avoid being hungry.

Secondly, I have forgotten how to exercise. Well….that’s not exactly true, I know how….but it’s usually been placed about 24th on my prioritized to do list…you know, the one I get to #5 each day.

About 5 years ago….I also had this problem….and one day, I walked into the gym and got to work. 10 months later, I had lost 60 lbs….and to tell you the truth, I really didn’t watch my diet that much. I was in the gym EVERY day…..for at least an hour. I took Yoga Classes, Kickboxing Classes, and my all time favorite, Spinning Classes. I was in shape…I felt good…..and I looked pretty good too.

So….I have decided it’s time to get back to work. I’m starting the drive for 75……..which means that I will be losing 75 lbs. in the next 12 months. It’ll take even more dedication than last time…..particularly in watching my diet. I'll be replacing Yocco's Hot Dogs with Broccoli....MMmmmm.

Stay tuned…..I’ll let you know how it’s going periodically…..

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! A group of friends and I are doing this Biggest Loser type contest where we each put in $20 and whoever loses the most weight (percentage-wise) wins the pot. Sadly, we haven't been weighing in regularly, so I don't think anyone is doing great (though I lost about 10 lbs.). I am with you on the gym prioritization thing. I am paying $90/month for a family membership to the YMCA but we never go. And as much as I keep saying I am going to start, it never rates in the top 10 on my priority list...

    ReplyDelete